Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Loving God

Scripture teaches in Deuteronomy 6:5 that one is to love God with all his being.  This command is repeated in the New Testament as the Great Commandment.  It is not a suggested path to greater happiness in life, it is a command of God to those who would be known as His followers.

Over the years, I’ve come to love God with my whole being, but I must confess I have not always done so.  For years after my conversion, even after my call to preach, I really did not love God with my whole being.  Had I loved Him so, I believe I would have been a much better man, a better husband, a better father, and much better pastor. 

I don’t think there was a time since my conversion that I did not have love for God, but the kind of love which put Him and His way first was missing from my life.  Even today, I struggle with always doing that which honors and glorifies God, but in my younger years, the love of God did not rule my life.

I believe that much of the problem Believers face today is rooted in that same failure to love God with their whole hearts.  Such love dictates one’s actions toward others and toward God.  When God is loved with all one’s being, an attitude of justice toward others, generosity toward the hurting, uprightness in dealings, selfless love toward spouse and family, and life-changing worship characterizes that individual. 

I wish I had learned to love God earlier in life.  I pray that each one who reads this, takes time to evaluate himself in light of how much he really loves God, and commits himself to learning how to really love God by learning of Him.

From: "A Word For Living" by Mike Rasberry

©                               Mike Rasberry                     2013

No comments: