Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Keeping God's Appointments

Recently I read Anita Onarecker Wood's thought provoking book, "Divine Appointment, Our Journey to the Bridge;" in which she gives an overview of her life with her late husband which culminated with a grand event on a bridge in Texas.

That book reminded me of a message I have preached entitled, "Your Story," in which I attempt to help people see that God is at work behind the scenes to bring about scenarios where He will receive glory and people will see His handiwork in the lives of His people.

Last Night, as I was traveling along a four-lane divided highway, I passed an automobile alongside the road with a flat tire. Another vehicle was stopped and I continued on at the speed limit for about a quarter of a mile until I felt an overwhelming urge in my spirit to go back. I discovered, upon my return, that the situation was in hand and all I could offer was encouragement and some light. Nothing dramatic happened. I don't know why God wanted me to turn around and go back, and I may never know until I reach His side in Glory. However, I do know I was strengthened by my act of obedience to His tug upon my heart.

It might be that our most important act is not one in which someone is dramatically saved, or delivered from some dread event. It might just be that the most important thing we can do at any given moment is simply obey the still small voice of Him who guides us, even when we don't see the purpose or necessity of doing so. Samuel told King Saul that obedience is better than sacrifice, and I think the churches of our nation would be stronger if we would begin once more to listen carefully for that voice of direction which indicates our complete trust in Him who died for us.

The Apostle Paul had a grand plan to evangelize a particular geographical area, but he testified that God prohibited his going there. Sometimes we might substitute the very good for God's very best when we commit ourselves to a course of action which, while commendable, is not God's best for us at that time.

The great question then in one's mind should be, "What would You have me do, Lord?" Even waiting for His direction is often within His divine plan. So while we wait, we demonstrate trust in Him and His willingness to communicate His will to us. The Jewish vagabonds had wandered for forty years and then were to told to camp and wait across the swollen River Jordan from the land of promise. They were not told to build boats, bridges, or dams; but to wait.

I don't know why God acts in the ways He has chosen, but I trust Him to do that which is best for me and mine in every situation. When I remember that, I'm less inclined toward anger, frustration, fear, and aggravation. I'm more inclined toward peace, joy, and genuine happiness. Should He want me to turn around on a dark road and investigate a situation, I'll experience less than His best for me if I don't obey. My responsibility is to discern and do His will while leaving the results and consequences up to Him.



© 2010 Mike Rasberry

No comments: