Friday, February 20, 2015

Mastication

“Mastication” is a Greek word that means "to gnash the teeth" (and related to the Greek words for jaw and chew).  In everyday parlance it means chewing.  While looking at this word this morning I was reminded of an expression I grew up with: “I’ll chew on it awhile” meant that the person would ponder, or think, about it for a while.

When someone would want another to think about something, the common expression was, “I’ll let you chew on that for a spell.” 

I’ve been “chewing” on some things recently, that give me hope for the future, even in these days of growing official opposition to Biblical Christianity. 

Look for a moment at Isaiah 34:1-7.  1 But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, 
And He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.  3 For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. 4 Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life. 5 Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your descendants from the east,   And gather you from the west;  6 I will say to the north, 'Give them up!' And to the south, 'Do not keep them back!' Bring My sons from afar, And My daughters from the ends of the earth– 7 Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him."


If you would “chew” on this for a spell, it might give you hope also.  Here Holy God declares His sovereignty over all, and lets those who are His understand that each and everyone of His have been created for His glory.  Nothing this world offers can separate us from the One Who holds us in His strong hand. 

Glory!  Glory!  Glory!

©            Mike Rasberry        2015


No comments: